I’ve been writing about community the last few weeks and wanted to share a few of my quick thoughts on how to build a community. In case you were interested. Though none of these are earth shattering. And they took me all of about 5 minutes to write down. So. There you go 🙂
How to build a community:
- Don’t wait for someone else to do it!
- Think about the things you like, and invite others to join you
- Stop lurking online and leave some comments!
- Have some goals you want to accomplish this year? Ask some friends to join you & keep you accountable!
- Join when other people invite you to do something, and then return the favor
- Go to a blogging conference
- Start a Bible study with your coworkers
- Meet up with friends who are also moms for some non-kid coffee time
- Train for a 5k with someone
- Participate in blog link-ups
- Attend Twitter parties (you’ll make friends!)
- Actually call/write/follow up/pray for the person you said you’d do those things for
- Have a girls night in with fuzzy socks, chocolate & lots of laughter
- Host a Google+ Hangout with some of your online friends!
- Host a playdate
- Join an online book club/Bible study
- Share resources – if you know of a great book/website/store that has JUST what someone needs, tell them about it! Especially if whatever it is happens to be on sale. Like shoes. Ahem.
- Send a real, snail mail card to someone “just because” and ask them to pass do it, too
- Start a mug/bracelet/fuzzy sock exchange
- Meet up with local bloggers and go apple & pumpkin picking – and blog about it (obviously!)
- Be a light for Jesus and let Him guide you to the right community
What are some other ideas you have to build a community, either online or in real life?