With only a few days left of school around here, our minds are already jumping ahead to our vacation plans. Whether you’re like me and have an on-going packing list in a Google document somewhere to make sure you don’t forget something, or you’re like my husband who just throws things in a bag the morning we leave and hopes for the best, a book is the perfect addition to your road trip, beach bag, or carry on.
Now, I’ve been known to take a library book with me to the beach (gasp! the horror! I know!), and I usually make sure to pack plenty of things to entertain my daughter, but this year I think I have a solution to help YOU out. It might not initially seem like a non-fiction book about work and rest is what you had in mind for your “beach read” but I think you might be surprised.
5 Reasons “Holy Hustle” Should be in Your Beach Bag This Summer
- It’s the perfect length for a road trip or flight. It took me four months to write it and two days to read the audiobook (also a good option for a flight!), so if you have a week at the beach you should easily be able to read a chapter per day and be done before, or shortly after, you come home. 10 chapters, easy flow, set up for you to pause and reflect and take breaks – and when your kids interrupt you 100 times to watch them do cannonballs in the pool or show you another seashell or ask you for another snack, it’s easy to find your place & keep reading!
- It’s bendy! I know it’s probably special for an author to have a hardcover book, but I’m SO happy this one is a paperback. You can bend the cover back and hold it in one hand. In the intro I tell you to USE the book – bend it, fold the pages, highlight it, write in it, put a drink on it to keep the pages down if it’s windy – it’s all ok! In fact, nothing would thrill me more than to see a copy of Holy Hustle on the beach with it’s front flap all wonky and sand in the pages.
- It will help you stay in the Word. I don’t know about your church, but ours takes a massive break in Bible studies over the summer and sometimes it’s hard to stay motivated to do a study on your own, or figure out what exactly you should be doing. Although you’ll definitely get a good chunk of my story in Holy Hustle, you’ll find yourself digging deeper into specific passages of Scripture as you read. Have more time and want to do a study with friends? Check out the 8 week “Work Hard, Rest Well” study or invite friends to read the Holy Hustle 10 day devotional on YouVersion with you!
- It comes with a built-in journal so you can pack lighter. Once I’ve packed a book, a Bible study, a journal, a Bible, and an assortment of pens and highlighters into my bag, I’ve given myself a good workout lifting a 10 pound bag. This summer, just take Holy Hustle and a pen (also, download the Bible app onto your phone – you know you’ll have it with you anyway). There are reflection/discussion questions at the end of each chapter AND lined pages for journaling!
- It’s pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee. I mean, the entire thing was basically written at Starbucks, so it’s like coffee beans are part of it’s DNA. But it also works well with water, tea, or any other beverage of your choosing 😉 Whatever happens to be in your cup, grab your book and find 10 or 15 minutes of time on your trip to spend reading, reflecting, and responding to what God is putting on your heart. You’ll come back from your trip feeling refreshed and ready to tackle whatever work is waiting for you when you come home.
If you’re local, be sure to come to the book launch party next Tuesday to pick up a copy of Holy Hustle, “Work Hard, Rest Well,” some art prints, an exclusive launch-party-only journal (all at super special VIP prices!), and enter to win a GORGEOUS bag from Better Life Bags that will be the perfect bag for all your travels this summer. Wherever your summer takes you, I hope you make time to stay in the Word and rest well so you can continue to work hard on the tasks God has given you.
Don’t forget to fill out the pre-order form to be entered to win this giveaway if you can’t make it to the launch party!